Jeff Cochran

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:37:08 -0600, zxcvbob
wrote:

Jeff Cochran wrote:

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 02:09:07 -0600, wrote:

Is it legal according to the NEC to run a green wire of the same gauge
along side of the old romex that had no ground wire, and wire it to
the panel and outlet box? (I know local code might differ). I am
just asking because I want to move my computer and there is only 2
wire (no ground) romex going to that outlet. I would change the
romex, except that it's stapled inside the wall, and I am not tearing
open the wall. However, I think I can fish a #12 green wire up there.

I dont have the NEC book. Does anyone know?

No longer allowed. Fishing new romex, even if you have to use an old
work box, is about the same effort.

Jeff

Several people have said this, but I find it very hard to believe. (and
whether it is allowed or not, I would do it anyway) Can you site a
reference? Did they change it in 2002, or what?

Haven't got a code book here to cite, but it is current, don't know
the year for sure though. Locally the inspectors have frowned on this
for quite some time, but naturally it's still done without permits.
The preferred option is a GFCI outlet but that doesn't help for
equipment grounds, and while better than nothing it's still not a
ground.

Jeff