Nate Perkins

Andy Dingley wrote in message . ..
On 26 Nov 2004 21:52:21 -0800, (Nate Perkins)
wrote:

I don't recall any work by Chris Becksvoort that used visible
dovetails (ie not just drawers) and had the marking-out lines visible.

http://www.chbecksvoort.com/tbeckdiff.html from his own website
(second photo from the top). Shows an applied molding on a
traditional case; the scribes are right on the top surface of the
case.

So where's the visible dovetail ? It has a marking line alright, but
that's on the top of a wardrobe ! It's hardly a visible part of the
piece

Why do you think that joint's at the top of a wardrobe? There are
several pieces shown on that page, for the purpose of illustrating
different details. And the wardrobe doesn't have the molding that's
shown on the dovetail joint.

The photo with the scribe line and molding is from the article he
wrote for the Jan 97 issue of FWW (p54). In that article he shows the
method for installing the molding on the top of a dovetailed case for
a five-drawer chest. Doesn't get much more visible than that.

- ever looked round the back of the pediment on a
Goddard-Townsend secretary ? Rough as anything where it doesn't show.

Nope, I've never seen the back of a Goddard-Townsend secretary. Heck,
I've never seen one at all outside of a photo (and I had to look that
up).

(You've got to love the work of someone who dovetails a moulding - now
that really is a nice touch, even if the client never notices)