Greg

W_Tom is the grounding man and this is right, code wise.

Subject: Adding a ground wire
From: w_tom
Date: 11/29/04 8:35 PM Eastern Standard Time
Both easier and safer to put tiny holes in selected walls;
to run a new wire to basement. One need not rip out whole
walls to install new wires. If you can't, a professional
electrician has a truck full of fancy tools and cute little
tricks to route that wire. Don't kludge the safety ground.
And do not connect any ground to water pipes - to dump
electricity into those pipes.

Safety grounding to water pipes is one of the worse
recommendations posted here. It puts plumbers at risk. It
puts bathing humans at even greater risk. It is using
something for what it was not intended. All electrical
connections to pipes to remove electricity from pipe. That
should be obvious because a wet human is at greatest risk to
electrocution. Never dump electricity into pipes.

Far easier than your posts suggest to run a clean, new 12
AWG wire.

Since we are on the topic, consider some other 'fixes' as
demonstrated in the newsgroup alt.home.repair entitled
"Grounding Rod Info" on 12 July 2003 at
http://tinyurl.com/hkjq

wrote:
That's exactly why, and what I said in my original post. If I chop
off the old one and cant get a new one in place, I am stuck ripping
walls apart. I DO NOT want to rip walls apart. If I cant get the
green wire up there, I am nowhere ahead or behind. There should be
room for one #12 green wire, or even a bare one. I figure that if I
cant get the ground wire to the basement, I could also run it outside
thru the siding, tack it along the bottom of the siding and have it
enter near alongside the phone wire, or outdoor spigot. Both are
nearby. I do think I can get it to the basement though.