HorneTD

Is it legal according to the NEC to run a green wire of the same gauge
along side of the old romex that had no ground wire, and wire it to
the panel and outlet box? (I know local code might differ). I am
just asking because I want to move my computer and there is only 2
wire (no ground) romex going to that outlet. I would change the
romex, except that it's stapled inside the wall, and I am not tearing
open the wall. However, I think I can fish a #12 green wire up there.

I dont have the NEC book. Does anyone know?

Thanks

T-Pot

What you are proposing to do is fully compliant with the US NEC. viz.
"VII. Methods of Equipment Grounding
250.130 Equipment Grounding Conductor Connections.
Equipment grounding conductor connections at the source of separately
derived systems shall be made in accordance with 250.30(A)(1). Equipment
grounding conductor connections at service equipment shall be made as
indicated in 250.130(A) or (B). For replacement of non–grounding-type
receptacles with grounding-type receptacles and for branch-circuit
extensions only in existing installations that do not have an equipment
grounding conductor in the branch circuit, connections shall be
permitted as indicated in 250.130(C).
(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions.
The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a
branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of
the following:
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described
in 250.50
(2) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode conductor
(3) The equipment grounding terminal bar within the enclosure where the
branch circuit for the receptacle or branch circuit originates
(4) For grounded systems, the grounded service conductor within the
service equipment enclosure
(5) For ungrounded systems, the grounding terminal bar within the
service equipment enclosure
FPN:See 406.3(D) for the use of a ground-fault circuit-interrupting type
of receptacle."
Copyright 2002 National Fire Protection Association.

--
Tom H