Tom Riley

Dear Kathy,

As a direct result of this news group, I have been mastering a
Web site for plans for low-stress computer furniture since 1995 (URL
below). We now have about 50 plans available. Some are very simple
and some are very advanced.

If you look over our plans and find something you like, I
would be most happy to adjust the plans to your exact needs if
necessary.

Right not all the plans are free as I am promoting my new book
(URL also below).

Thanks,

Tom Riley

Woodware Designs
http://www.charm.net/~jriley/woodware.html

My new book is out!!!

"Look the Future Straight in the Eye"
http://www.charm.net/~jriley/book.html

On 14 Nov 2004 12:25:15 -0800, (Kathy) wrote:

I need a desk for my computer & can't bring myself to buy anything on
the market. All the desks out there in my price range are made of
particle board.

I'm an amatuer in woodworking. I've built a picnic table & a play set
for my daughter. Never made anything for indoors. Never did anything
with plywood, but I came up with a design for a desk using plywood,
mostly. I have limited skills, few tools, & no space, so this should
be easy, right? LOL

Here's a drawing of it & a cutting layout for the plywood.

http://www.peggyelliott.com/deskplan.htm

Now my questions;

What kind of plywood? I assume I should be using 3/4", right?
I keep reading about birch plywood & baltic birch, what's the
difference & which do I need? Or something else?

I'm hoping to get my local independent lumber store to cut the pieces
out for me, is that likely? They made all the cuts for the play
center, but that wasn't plywood.

How do I attach the plywood to plywood, do I use a nail gun? I'd have
to rent one. Should I hammer nails in? What size nails? Should I use
screws instead of nails? I assume I should also use glue, what kind?
Should I attach 2x4's or 1x4's underneath & in the back to make it
stronger?

By reading here about plywood, I gather I should attach a 3/4" molding
strip to the edge of the desktop with glue. So using a router on the
edge doesn't work on plywood?

What else don't I know?

TIA
Kathy