Lennie the Lurker

"Ken Davey" wrote in message ...

It never bloody fail!.
Get a discussion going about the ills of North America (ya - I am including
Canada) and some wag blames it all on the unions.

to do otherwise would be to disobey those that do his thinking for
him. He parrots the line that his owners want, facts be damned.

As far as import 'laws' globalization, as promoted by the good old USA, is
mainly responsible for the outsourcing of *your* jobs and the continuing
distruction of local economies.

And which any man with half a brain can plainly see, only those that
stand to profit at the expense of the rest of the country defend it.

Yes, it was the abuse of the company owners that brought unions into
existance, and if the unions ceased to be tomorrow, the company store
would reappear the day after, as would company towns. (For those that
don't understand, as late as the mid 1930's, some companies had
requirements that you lived in company owned housing, and you were
paid in scrip, which nobody else would honor, because the company
wouldn't pay any other store. "Rubberville" in West Racine is a good
example, very narrow streets, houses that are so close to each other
that the city had to grandfather them, they don't meet space
requirements, and most don't meet building codes, even today.) There
are laws to stop the worst abuses, but without unions fighting for
those laws, they wouldn't exist, without unions, those laws would
disappear overnight.

And my original subject was how the conservative press lies. The
conservatives think the press is liberal because they don't lean so
far right that they fall over. By eliminating a few tiny details,
such as demolition crews with cutting torches, they try to insinuate
that the fire was the result of the strike. My own thoughts, it is
more likely that the fire was caused, deliberately, by the company
doing the demolition as a way to save money. Not much needs cutting
now, just scoop it up and dump in hopper car. Which would fall into
the corporate method of thinking nicely. (Sorry, corporate and
thinking don't really fit, do they.)