TWS

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 02:53:35 GMT, "Alisa Piar"
wrote:

If you are just starting out you would be further ahead buying a drill
press and a set of forstner bits. You can bore out most of the mortise with
a forstner bit and clean it up with a chisel. It takes more time that way
but you will find way more uses for a drill press. A day does not go by in
the shop where me or my wife (she turns) don't use the drill press.
I currently have a 12" Delta benchtop which has been reliable tool. My next
major purchase will be a full sized drill press then I will get a dedicated
mortiser.

Have Fun
Wade

I agree with Wade. You will get a lot more mileage from a drill
press, a set of forstner bits, and some decent chisels and you will be
able to make mortises as good as or better than a mortiser. IME the
mortiser will need cleaning out with a chisel anyway and you can use
the drill press, bits, and chisels for many other applications. You
do need to learn how to sharpen the chisels, however.

TWS