TEF

Since I was just on this newsgroup asking for advice concerning the
operation of my new Delta mortiser, I am no expert on the subject. However,
I can say after messing around with some hardwood scraps and a 1/2"
mortising bit that it takes a great deal of force on the mortiser's lever to
advance the bit into the wood. I also have a Jet 14" drill press and doubt
that one could exert the force necessary to do the same using the drill
press (without eventually damaging it). In short, if you have the money go
with the dedicated mortiser or, perhaps, use a router for the same task. I
don't think the drill press is a good substitute. FYI Amazon is currently
selling the better Delta mortiser for less than $200 with the usual free
shipping.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Adam Diehl" wrote in message

I have heard that the mortising kit/drill press combo isn't entirely
satisfactory for cutting mortises on a regular basis. I've heard that

the
dedicated mortiser (as one might guess) is more user-friendly and does a
better job overall.

That is the general consensus here. Some guys get good results witht he
attachment, more have been frustrated by the attachments. I've never

tried
one so I can't comment any more about them. Dedicated tools are always
better than combination tools.

1) What do you use your drill presses for in your shop? My reason for
initially leaning towards the drill press/mortise kit combination is, as

mentioned, because of the ability to also use the drill press as a drill
press. However, the only uses I can come up with are to cut plugs and
possibly for spinning sanding drums (which, I'm told, is another job
they're not ideally suited for). I don't think I'd do either on a

regular
basis.

I've mande a lot of outdoor furniture with slats that reuired four holes

in
each, maby 100 to 150 holes per piece. The drill press is fast, accurate,
allows for easy repeatability by using a fence and stops. Good for

drilling
large diameter holes with a hole saw. Yes, you can live without it, but

it
gets regular use in my shop.

2) If you've used a mortising kit, what were your impressions of the
quality of the job it did and its usability?

Can't help you here.

3) Considering the price of a delta bench-top drill press plus mortising
kit is about equal to the delta bench-top dedicated mortiser (including

4
bits and a few other handy gewgaws), which would you go for in my
position?

You may be very happy with the add on. I don't know your pocketbook well
enough to say for sure. Changing back and forth is a problem mentioned in
this group. A DP and dedicated machine is going to cost about $450.US
The adapter would be wasted money in the long run.

Keep in mind that I already have a good hand-held drill that's
worked just fine for making holes up to this point. (I can even make the
holes end up passably straight most of the time!)

At this point I am leaning towards the mortiser unless I hear some

great
reason to have a drill press instead. Thank you all for your help!

Then go for it! You can always get a DP later. You can live without it,
but once you have it, you don't ever want to see it go away.
Ed