N. Thornton

Default Moving BT master socket, is this frowned upon?

Harry Bloomfield wrote in message o.uk...
On 19/02/2004 Jason Arthurs opined:-
It is frowned upon to relocate the master socket? I ask this as it
will of course be in the loft rather than merely moving it into a
different room.

Strictly speaking you are not allowed to interfere with the master
socket or the wiring linking that to the pole. In practise, if you make
a reasonably competant job of it, then the BT engineer is very unlikely
to complain.

I moved our master socket into the loft, in fact the BT engineer
actually assisted me to do this when they were installing new cables
from the pole. He pushed the cable in from the outside, I pulled it
through and connected it up to a new master while he waited.

If you are certain you know what you are doing and feel absolutely
confident, then get on with it.... Just keep the phone cables well away
from any mains wiring.

The master socket contains a sense resistor, and the lines are
automatically monitored. If you remove the master socket a fault
condition will therefore be detected.

Regards, NT