Andy Hall

Default Moving BT master socket, is this frowned upon?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:22:32 +0000, PoP wrote:

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:03:42 +0000, Jason Arthurs
wrote:

My server currently runs in the loft and I have a somewhat threadbare
telephone extension lead trailing up the stairs and through the loft
hatch which supplies my ADSL connection.

I am curious!

I would have thought that running any sort of equipment in the loft is
asking for trouble. Reason being that the temperature up there can go
outside the specs of the equipment. It gets damned cold up there in
winter and sweating hot in the summer.

Am I just being unrealistic or could this be a real problem?

If you don't take any steps to control the temperature then it could
be.

I dealt with it by making an insulated cabinet and arranging two fans
with ducting in and out from the outside and inside the house. The
fan speeds are controlled by a temperature sensor and motor
controller, and there are servo controlled dampers in the ducting.

During the winter months, air is brought in from and out to the house
so that heat produced by the electronics ends up in the house.
The fans run fairly slowly and the cabinet is maintained pretty well
at about 23 degrees.

During the summer, air is taken in from and delivered back outside.
The fans are still effective even in hot weather and last summer the
cabinet only ran a couple of degrees above the outside temperature
during the hot period, which was OK. Most of the time it was running
at the 23-25 range.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl