NSM

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...go.x=8&go.y=11
| which I assume would be ok.

I'm stunned at the 1200mA output. That usually means a switch mode supply.
If you can find one that's 200 or 300 mA that'd be better. Also, it's a good
idea to check the voltage if you have a meter. If not, I often set the
voltage at 3V and crank it up one step at a time until the device works OK.
These things do deliver too much voltage at light load.

12V=/20mA is a DC out system all right. However, if the power supply powers
the actual motor, then that current can't be right.

This setup is puzzling. Can you scan the label on the power supply and post
it somewhere?

NM