John Rumm

Grunff wrote:

We have uPVC, which replaced the softwood windows that were originally
installed when the house was built in the '30s.

The reasons we went for uPVC are the zero-maintenance factor and the
fact that they fitted in well with our black/white house. Also, they
were a fraction of the price of *decent* hardwood frames.

Yup, wood frames are more expensive. When I costed the three windows I
needed for my loft conversion, woodgrain effect PVC worked out about a
third of the cost of hardwood that would have matched the rest of the
house. In the end I figured that they were far enough away to not look
too objectionable, so in spite of my preference for wood, that is what I
went for.

--
Cheers,

John.