PeteZahut

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
PeteZahut wrote:
I'd simply replace it all - running in a separate earth wire won't
impress at sale time, or if a check is ever needed.

Sale time? Is that part of the things they check when people sell
houses? Do they open a few sockets and switches etc to check?

Plenty will have the wiring checked, yes. And I'd certainly test the earth
on a lighting circuit if I was doing the checking. Many people will have
sockets re-wired (to install more etc) - and even change the CU, but leave
the lighting wiring as it's usually the most difficult to replace.

Ooh thats interesting. So when these tests are made, how are they done?
Would Mr Spark come along, open say one light switch and just look at the
wires, check there is a red/black(sleeved red) and an earth all coming out
the same cable or would he do something else?
Sockets? Is that the same? Look inside one and see if theres two cables?
Surely he wouldnt open the consumer unit, disconnect some wires and do a
proper final test would he?
Im almost certain that when we bought our house (few years ago) they didnt
physically check the wires. Just looked at them.
The people we bought off had had the house rewired but no longer had the
electricians name.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest.

Dave Plowman London SW