jeff

wrote in message oups.com...

Hi,

Hi all,

I have a 3.5 year old Kenmore front-loading washing machine,
model number 417.41042000 or 41042, that has been leaking water for
almost a year now. I've decided it might be time to work on it.

The tub on this washer has two halves with a seal in the middle.
When the washer is in a spin cycle, and only when there are
clothes in it (to make it vibrate some), I can see some water
dribbling out from the joint between the two halves of the tub
on the right-hand side. Since this is the side where the
motor speed control unit is, I'd like to prevent that getting
shorted out. (At the moment, the quantity of water coming
out is not enough that I worry about that yet.)

Have you tried to tighten the tub bolts?

I'm thinking of taking the washer apart and replacing the seal.
Sears.com has a replacement seal for $9.49, which doesn't sound
too bad, but I'm wondering if there are any tricks to this
repair. It looks like I need to take off the top and back
panels, unhook everything from the tub assembly, turn it onto
its back, and then lift off the cabinet.

Am I headed for trouble
doing this myself?

Yes.

Boot is undone from the front panal, remove or undo drive motor, shock
pins, WLC switch/hose, drain hoses and lift of off the springs and
remove the whole assembly out through the back of the washer. Then the
two 1/2's can be seperated to replace that seal.

Not overly difficult but *very* time consuming.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/