Hi,

What are the current building regulations relating to the fitting of
an outside tap?

Cheers, W

It's always practical to put some kind of stopcock and draincock inside

the
house where it should be warmer in the winter than outside. Putting these
in the system will allow the tap to be completely isolated in freezing
conditions and you don't have to go outside to do it. If you are planning
to have a long run of pipework outside the house, remember to wrap lagging
tape or insulation tube over all the exposed parts to help prevent any
freezing if you intend to use the tap occasionally during the winter

months.

But an internal stopcock, and drainage point after it, is always best
practice.

When I plumbed in our tap recently I put in the dbl check valve and a full
bore ball valve for isolation but didnt put a drainage point in (dont know
why really). So is the best practice in this case to close the ball valve
and leave the tap open to leave room for any expansion (there are only a
couple of inches of pipe outside so I doubt much of it would be liable to
freeze anyway).

cheers

Dave.