Nospam Pat

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
I don't think it will be dying, just reducing in popularity.

I haven't got £4.5k a year spare to spend on tradesmen, so I'll be
carrying on regardless. I think the problem here is one of definition.
Some people think DIY is knocking in nails for a picture frame, others
think it's doing your own loft conversion. For me, it's about learning
new skills and recognising when I should DIY and when I should get
someone in. I will happily do tiling, plumbing, carpet laying,

electricity
(until January obviously ;-) dry lining, decorating, woodwork and
other things, but I have some people who I trust to come in for gas,
plastering and structural advice.

In the end, people will choose the route which they consider gives them
the best value in terms of time, money and self-satisfaction.

Another consideration is the increasing cost of the *correct* tools to botch
a job properly. :+)