johnB

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:07:53 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

Probably best to get some core samples of the wall tested for salts
from rising damp first, as it won't help with penetrating damp or damp
from condensation.

I'm sure it's not condensation, but it could conceivable be
penetration; I have never investigated the cavities to see if they are
full of debris. I guess that clearing the cavities of debris is high
on the list of things to try first, yes?

Trouble is with these things, if they are done the same time as other
measures, the result is often wrongly attributed.

So do all the other things first, and if there is still excess damp
rising in the wall, then it might be worth a look, even so the cost
needs to be compared with other DPC measures.

It might only be worth it for walls that can't be fitted with a DPC,
like rubble infill walls or interior walls. If the supplier can give
some refs on where it has been used on important historic buildings as
part of a restoration, that counts for something.

Trouble is with genuine rising damp is that it can leave salts in the
wall that attract more damp.

Thank you for the good suggestions..

Jake