Rob

I guess for the majority of cases, it will be a replacement boiler
in
the kitchen.

That's my situation exactly.

Whether they would be able to get a new back boiler is another
thing,
of course.

They must be available, because the fitter in question said he fits a
lot of back boilers to run CH systems in this area (or probably more
over Barnsley way where everybody had coal fires until quite
recently), so I think that's at the root of his confusion over the
condensing boiler regs.

Update on the stove: the shop man initially said the manufacturers are
covering their backs by insisting on strict testing, and didn't think
it was necessary. He said the gas main pressure's the same everywhere
so doesn't need to be tested (which I doubt), and couldn't see why the
supply had to be tested with all appliances on. I guessed that if the
pressure was a bit low, the gas stove could go out if the cooker, CH
etc all came on, then fail to re-light when they were switched off,
and he sort of understood that.
He said they couldn't have connected the stove without turning the gas
off - "they wouldn't mess with a live gas supply, so they must have a
way round it."
I finally got him to agree to talk to the manager about possibly
sending someone out to fill in the test results (and possibly even do
the tests first!) when I pointed out that Yeomen were unlikely to
stand by their guarantee otherwise.
Why is it so hard to get anyone to do their job properly these days?
Is it any wonder people attempt DIY jobs that are beyond them - in
many cases they couldn't do it any worse than the "professionals"
(present company excepted, of course!) If you disagree, let me tell
you about my roofing repair (but I really would recommend you don't
ask!)
Rant over, for now.

Thanks Andy

Rob