Rob

he said the rule about all new boilers
having to be condensing after next April has been postponed for
several
years.

If you believe what the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister is
saying
(a risky strategy admittedly), he is incorrect.

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...eg_032806.hcsp

However, see the exceptions assessment:

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...eg_032807.hcsp

No exception for me then - a condensing boiler would fit very easily
and the neighbours aren't near enough to bother about plumes.

Incidentally, after his men had made a neat job of fitting the
Yeoman gas
stove and left, I read in the instruction booklet that a spillage
test
should have been done...should I follow it up?
...they presumably know what they're doing.

Not if they didn't follow the manufacturer's recommendations and
instructions. Did they do a gas soundness test? This involves
connecting a pressure gauge and testing any drop in pressure with
the
gas turned off at the meter. The details are slightly more involved
as far as the procedure is concerned (see Ed's gas fitting FAQ) but
that is the principle.

If they haven't done these things then they should be pulled back to
do them.

Well, I know they didn't turn the gas off at any time when fitting the
stove, because I asked them. I think they might have done the test you
describe after disconnecting the old gas fire and capping the pipe
until the new stove arrived, but I've got nothing in writing. I think
I'll speak to the shop that sent them.
To be continued...

--

.andy