Andy Hall

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:41:04 GMT, (Jake) wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 21:35:04 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 20:08:21 GMT,
(Jake) wrote:

I know that most damp problems are not actually "rising damp" (or at
least, that seems to be the concensus these days) - but all the clues
suggest that my own damp problem may be just that. I remember hearing
about electro osmotic damp proofing, using anodes and an electronic
control box etc.

Has anyone here ever tried this methid and did it work? I found this
web site which mentions the method:
http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...risingdamp.htm

Cheers,

Jake

My parents had this installed in a house in the sixties. It consisted
of an earth rod and then copper strip run into the wall and looped all
the way through at intervals. There was no electronics - just a
direct connection.

IIRC, it was installed by Rentokil, so not a fly by night operation,
20 year guarantee and so on.

The project as a whole certainly worked, although also consisted of
lowering the ground level outside and putting in some trenches filled
with gravel.

I suspect that it was the ground lowering that really did the job.

Andy, Thanks for the reply. Interesting... Well, if the above process
worked for you parents, perhaps it will work on my house. I might even
employ Rentokil! The guarantee would be worth having - even if only to
help sell the place...

Jake

I would suggest doing the ground checking/lowering stuff first as well
as airbricks because that costs little to nothing. As I say, I am
not at all convinced that the electro-osmotic stuff actually did
anything.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl