RichardS

"Brad Awl" wrote in message

Hi Folks,
I want to install a second front door in my house, and need to make a
choice between a hansome-looking hardwood door and a white UPVC one
costing three times as much. Can anyone list a few pros and cons of
each?

The main thing I'd like to know is: is the heat loss through a heavy
hardwood door significanly more than through a UPVC one? In other
words is it really worth paying an extra £200 for the UPVC door? How
long would it take to recoup the £200 on saved heating expenditure?

I vastly prefer the look of the hardwood item (it looks in keeping
with the age and style of the property) and I guess I can install it
myself, having hinstalled a door or two in the past. I understand that
building regs now require that UPVC items have to be installed by
qualified installers these days (?)

I'd go with decent hardwood - if it's properly fitted and draught-proof then
the difference in energy loss will be negligible.

uPVC windows and doors were a big negative point against my house when I was
buying it - not enough to make me change my mind, but it certainly knocked a
bit off the price I was prepared to pay, and had there been another house on
the street without those eyesores then I'd have probably gone for that one
in preference. I'm stuck with the windows now (unless I fork out an
absolute fortune for d/g pt L compliant sashes with cathedral glass inserts
in the top), but the door's a gonner as soon as I get a round tuit. If the
housing market slips into a buyers market again, it could make a difference.

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk