Dave Plowman

Default Cooker switch neon indicator

In article ,
wrote:
If they are there to 'see' the switch in the dark, it's normal to have
them on with the light off, and off with it on. If it's a normal
lighting circuit, it sounds like he might have wired one side to
earth, given that there's not normally a neutral at a switch.

With incandescents, there's no need to wire the cold end of the neon to
earth: the neon goes across the switch contacts, and the cold resistance
of the blub forms an effective path to neutral (being massively lower
than the 'internal resistance' of a neon indicator). With the switch on,
there's no potential across the neon, so it goes out. A downside of this
Ingeneous scheme is that if the bulb blows, the indicator no longer
lights; and it's shot to pot if you use compact-flourescent or similar.

Err, that's what I said. If it stays on all the time as the OP says, one
side is either wired to earth or neutral.

--
*Who are these kids and why are they calling me Mom?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn