philb

Ecnerwal wrote in message ...
In article ,

Gunner Lied:

And as Ive said..at the moment..there is
no reliable way to tell if you are impared on the job, or not.

I (Ecnerwal) wrote:
Bull****, Gunner. Such tests _already_ exist. Typically somewhat like a
video game, doing reaction-time testing, and perhaps other things
depending on the nature of the job. Not able to do the task in the test,
not allowed to operate the train, press, plane, whatever. Perhaps even
get the breathalyzer, ****, blood, and/or other test - for cause -
unless you want to be fired.

And now gunner says:
Yes such tests do exist.

So first you say they don't, and now you say they do. Flip-flopper.

They are expensive, time consuming and a
number of them involve equipment that requires a lab tech to operate.

And then you start lying about the cost, time, complexity; and you
previously lied about worker acceptance - most places that use such
tests report that workers are far happier knowing that everyone around
them has had to take exactly the same test they did to get onto the job
site, and is functional _today_. The cost of a machine or set of
machines (bought once) to test every worker every day is diddly compared
to the cost (every single test) to "randomly" collect piddle. Most
require nobody to operate them but the worker, and take only a minute or
so. The information is freely available on the web.

Please point out which common field test, other than the breathyliser
will point out not only how much drugs by percentage are in your
system, but which drug, and wether or not you are impaired or not.

As I've said, I really don't care what you're on, or if you're on
nothing at all - the _impairment_ test has no need to determine that. If
the test shows that you are _impaired_, you can either get fired on the
spot, or take a sick day and go get any number of tests to show exactly
what you are or are not on when you fail the test. And you _don't_ get
to go to work while you are a danger to others, regardless of whether
you are a danger to others because you didn't sleep last night, or you
got drunk last night, or you got drunk this morning, or you have a legal
prescription for oxycontin, or you had your maid get you oxycontin
illegally. I really don't feel a bit better about getting killed by some
guy who's "just sleep deprived" or "just drunk" or "just has an ear
infection" than I do about getting killed my some guy who's "stoned".

Personally, I stick to caffeine, theobromine, and a very small amount of
ethanol in the appropriate time relationship to working. But that does
not mean I have any interest in working at places which are more
interested in "reefer madness" than they are in "worker safety".

I used to work with a guy who had a serious drug problem. You could
tell the days when he WASN'T high, he pulled his hat down low, and
wore sunglasses to keep the ceiling lights from blinding him.
One Monday he didn't show up. About 10am the OWNER left to go bail him
out of jail so he could drive the fork truck around, unload trucks,
move material and chip drums.
He had been busted late the night before, driving after burning crack
cocaine and heroin all weekend.