IMM

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 14:19:02 +0000, Steve Jones
wrote:

From the link you gave Andy:

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS
REQUIRED

Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and

(c) consists of -

(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing

circuit;

(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing
ring or radial circuit; or

(iii) installing or upgrading main or supplementary
equipotential bonding.

I thought adding socket outlets and spurs was not allowed under the new
regs, but this says otherwise. Except for a kitchen.

You can because they are considered to be a minor work.

Whether or not this makes any sense is another issue.

As far as I am concerned, If somebody is competent (or not) to add a
spur or socket then I see no real reason why they can't add a circuit
from the competence perspective.

It's just as easy to get into trouble installing a spur as it is a
circuit.

For example, cable of inadequate size could be used, or people could
add a spur to the end of a spur from a ring circuit.

Exempting equipotential bonding is curious as well. It's an imprtant
safety mechanism and should also be tested.

This does not have to be connected to the electrical system.

The exemptions seem much more arbitrary than considered, especially
when there isn't a problem to address in the first place.

--

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl