IMM

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:05:16 GMT, "coherers"
wrote:

Hi,

I've been following the threads on here regarding Part P and its effects

on
DIY work on-and-off since late 2002, and I thought I now understood

exactly
what the situation was.

But today on the Rospa site I see the following unqualified statement:

quote
Notification will not be required if –
*....
*...

* DIY work that follows the IEE guidance or that in the listed

DIY
manuals based on BS 7671 and IEE.
/quote

(http://www.rospa.org.uk/productsafet...electrical.htm,
section 3.2.5 )

Is this correct? This would imply that one **can** do major works as

long as
7671 is followed.

Comments anyone ?

I don't think that this is correct. They seem to have confused
standards for the work with what is and what isn't controlled.

Have a look at

http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...4/20041808.htm

From the link you gave Andy:

DESCRIPTIONS OF WORK WHERE NO
BUILDING NOTICE OR DEPOSIT OF FULL PLANS
REQUIRED

Work which -

(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,

"special location"? What is that?

(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and

So the above two say any work as long as it is not in a kitchen or a
"special installation" (whatever that is)

(c) consists of -

(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit;

(ii) adding socket outlets and fused
spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit; or

So if you leave 1 foot od each of the two wores comming for the 30 amp fuse
from the CU you can do anything. The circuit is existing and sockets and
fused spurs added.

(iii) installing or upgrading main or
supplementary equipotential bonding.

I thought adding socket outlets and spurs was not allowed under the new
regs, but this says otherwise. Except for a kitchen.

Yep. You are right. So anything goes as long as it is not in a kitchen or
"special location", whatever that is.

I can see why they homed in on kitchen. This is to prevent cowboy kitchen
fitters slapping cables all around the place. That MPs daughter who died
probably prompted this.