Mike Marlow

"Bob" wrote in message
news

"Eric Anderson" wrote in message

Unless someone comes up with a good idea here (or the photos give me a

good
idea), I am just going to do with my new saw what I have in the past. I

am
going to build a series of zero clearance inserts that incorporate a
splitter in them since it looks like a riving knife is going to be a

LONG
time coming!

Change LONG time to NEVER. Unless we want to purchase a European saw or

pay
the piper for expensive custom machining, we are all stuck with ZCI home
based solution (not bad actually).

Bob

So, why do you say that Bob? I didn't download the movie because I'm stuck
with dialup service and that would be painful, but from what I see in the
pics on the website it looks to be very doable on any typical saw. I could
see it on my Craftsman Model 100 very easily. Sure, it'd take a little bit
of work, but not a lot. Unless I'm missing something here. Strikes me that
one would simply build it to ride on the arbor. I'll have to clear the top
of my saw off later in the day and take another look inside to see if there
would be any reason that wouldn't work or if there might be a better way.

I'm more curious how stable that knife is. It looks like a pretty
substantial piece of steel, but it also looks like it will allow a pretty
good amount of sideways flex if pressure is applied. It has to be limited
to 3/16in steel in order to fit in the kerf and it just seems to me that the
4 inches or so that protrude would have enough flex to be problemsome.
Maybe not. Eric - I'm looking for your feedback. If it takes a whack, do
you have to re-adjust it? How much of a whack has yours taken and still
keep tickin'?
--

-Mike-