David Hall

We always put 'em out in the driveway (gravel) and ran over them
for a few days, the picked them up, put in in one of theose net orange
bags, and hung that in the garage for awhile. We used a hammer and a
chunk of railroad track to crack them, then a nut pick. Very tasty tho.

Ahhhh...JOAT you bring back fond memories. We gathered 15 to 20 paper grocery
bags of black walnuts each year. layed them in the gravel drive and ran the
truck over them a buch to loosen the outer hulls. Then got black hands (even
through the gloves) picking out the nuts which were laid out to dry then packed
into bags for later use. Hours were spent with a hammer and brick to get a
quart of nuts. But damn it, mom's cookies and cakes were worth it!!!!! English
walnuts absolutely suck in comparison and I can hardly eat them. Now, hickory
niuts....there was a waste of time and effort

Dave Hall