T i m

Default Improvised Angle drill

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:17:03 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
I built a speed controller years ago (don't think it was a Maplin kit)
so my mate could use his big angle grinder as a car polishing mop. It
had pretty good torque control. It would would work VERY slowly and
was still pretty unstoppable?

I found that my ordinary drill wouldn't go slow enough for some things -
even in low gear. I suppose the lowest it would go was about 200 rpm or so
- any slower and the motor started to smell. That's why I'm not sure an
electronic speed control would reduce the speed of an angle grinder
sufficiently to drill safely.

[T] I think the idea is with these electronic speed controllers you
get nearly the same 'torque' as you would at full speed. What you
don't get of course is the intertia gained from such revs? I know my
D-Walt battery drill on low speed will twist the head off a No8 screw
at pretty low revs (AC-DC the concept is the same?).

I have a Lathe, soldering iron and spare cheap mini grinder so might
give it a try .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m