Greg Millen

Default TS Splitters/Riving Knifes

I read the earlier thread with interest, then recalled another thread where
a statement was made about the SawStop unit. Someone believed that
eventually the insurance companies might force manufacturers to fit Sawstop
to their machines.

After reading the splitter thread, the sawstop/insurer idea just doesn't
seem to have a hope.

As a few of you know, I recently received my saw from TW. The riving knife
raises and lowers with the blade, the knife remains below the blade until
more than 2" of blade is exposed, if I need to cut 4" in one go I can adjust
it with an allen key to slide back. Other than that, it stays well out the
way and I can't think of a good reason to remove it. I can even dado with it
attached (up to a 2" anyway).

The engineering is very simple and the knife is replaceable with various
thickness blades. I think you guys may be getting short changed on some
(seemingly simple) safety features, but I am not sure why. Anyone interested
in detailed photos let me know and I'll try to get some over the weekend for
you.

--

Greg