Charlie Self

JOAT notes:

Actually, I believe it's a nut, not a fruit. I never saw it
"poisoning" the ground.

I think he may mean the husk, which oozes a very dark brown color when it is
opened. Great dye, but the way. Toss those husks in a bucket of some kind of
solvent for a couple days, and you can dye anything. IIRC, it was used in
earlier days to dye clothing.

The husk is a PITA to remove, in my opinion, but farmers around here with
walnut trees sell the nuts in quart mason jars for a pretty darned good price.

My wife gets angry when she buys "walnuts" and discovers they're the English
variety. She feels they have too little flavor. And she's right.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx