J T

Sun, Nov 21, 2004, 4:16pm george@least (George)
Black walnut is the fruit, and it poisons and messes the ground with
husks and shells,contains meat which is almost impossible to get out of
the shell, and has a bitter taste.
That's why we grow the "English" walnut - to eat.

Actually, I believe it's a nut, not a fruit. I never saw it
"poisoning" the ground. If we didn't get out there and get the nuts
when they fell, the squirrels did, and left no husks or shells around.
The meat is no problem getting out, once you've got the nut cracked, you
just need a nut pick. I've never experienced any bitter taste.

I would imagine the reason "English" walnuts are grown is because
there's more profit from them, it sure isn't the taste, they're the last
nut I'd choose. Also, they're much easier to crack - I usually just
take two at a time, squueze them in my hands, and crack one. I don't
much care for their taste tho; plus, I find they often taste slightly
bit bitter.

JOAT
Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.