T i m

Default Fixing Celotex to walls

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:55:40 -0000, "Stephen Gilkes"
wrote:

Buy an sds drill and bits.

MrCheerful

Whats an SDS drill?

I have a Bosch hammer drill at the moment.

[T] I'm not sure what it stands for but it's a 'system'.

A std 'hammer' drill works by having a searies of 'ramps' on one of
the drive gears causing the bit to move backward and forward slightly
as it goes round. They generally have a standard or hand chucks.

An SDS 'tool' (as they don't just drill) use a different method to
create the percussion and the q/r chuck takes a range of 'bits'
including chisels etc and could be thought of as similar to a tiny
Kango? They can be used as a std rotary drill, drill with hammer or
just the hammer action (bit not rotating) . The bits have flutes on
them where they go into the chuck so they don't slip.

I think there are different std's (I'm new to all this myself) eg you
can get SDS and SDS II etc?

They range in price from +AKM-29 to hundreds for something that will work
all day (if you can lift one all day that is!).

Great for getting ceramic tiles of the wall I'm told?

All the best ..

T i m