Harold & Susan Vordos

"John Chase" wrote in message
. com...
Jim L. wrote:
Today I tried to return my Craftsman clicker /ratchet torque wrench for

replacement because the lock-unlock
switch is defective. Sales associate told me they only guarantee hand

tools
having moving parts for one year. Hammers and screwdrivers are examples

of
those with the "forever" warranty. Since ratchets have moving parts they

are
only warranted for one year. I don't know what to say about adjustable
wrenches, pliers, gas torches,universal joint sockets, hand braces,tape
measures, micrometers, and so on into the night. Any others run into

this
policy? Jim

I encountered that attitude at a sears store in 1982. Suggested to the

hardware
manager that he look up the meaning of "unconditional" in any dictionary;

got
told that sears doesn't need my business that badly. Haven't set foot in

sears store since; haven't missed them one bit.

-jc-

Sears joined the "bottom line" concept many years ago and it has cost them
dearly. In practicing the "more-profit-for-less-value" theory, many of us
have quit buying from them.

Like you, I quit and hadn't gone to one of their stores in many years.
Since moving to a small community, I've returned to buying from them, due,
in part, to my limited selection that is available locally. One product
they carry, a dehumidifier, is not available from anyone else, and we've
purchased three of them.

I'm still not real happy with their business philosophy, but I'm finding
that, more and more, many businesses would rather skin the sheep than shear
it, and don't give a damn that it dies. Sigh!

Harold