Joe Bobst

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather than the
dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by mistake. Is this a problem
that is worth redoing so that the hookup is behind the dryer?

Sounds like the best plan.

The plumber, however, claims that it is important to have the hookup at an
accessible height so that you can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

Check with your building inspection department. In our locality we have gas
shut offs in the basement near water heaters, furnaces, stove and dryer supply
runs. Good luck.

Joe