Jeffrey J. Kosowsky

Default Gas hookup location for dryer?

We just had a plumber run a dryer gas line for our new laundry room.

2 questions about the placement of the hookup:

1. The hookup runs vertically up the back wall and is about 40"
tall. I would have thought the hookup should be down low since that
is where the connection with the dryer is and am concerned that
this will now look ugly. The plumber, however, claims that it is
important to have the hookup at an accessible height so that you
can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather
than the dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by
mistake. Is this a problem that is worth redoing so that the hookup
is behind the dryer?

Thanks,
Jeff
wayne

if you think about it if a fire started and you were able to get there quick
enough would you want to put your hand over the flames to turn the gas off?
Away from the dryer and easily reached sounds good to me. Who cares how it
looks it is a laundry room?

Wayne

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message
We just had a plumber run a dryer gas line for our new laundry room.

2 questions about the placement of the hookup:

1. The hookup runs vertically up the back wall and is about 40"
tall. I would have thought the hookup should be down low since that
is where the connection with the dryer is and am concerned that
this will now look ugly. The plumber, however, claims that it is
important to have the hookup at an accessible height so that you
can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather
than the dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by
mistake. Is this a problem that is worth redoing so that the hookup
is behind the dryer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Grandpa Koca

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
We just had a plumber run a dryer gas line for our new laundry room.

2 questions about the placement of the hookup:

1. The hookup runs vertically up the back wall and is about 40"
tall. I would have thought the hookup should be down low since that
is where the connection with the dryer is and am concerned that
this will now look ugly. The plumber, however, claims that it is
important to have the hookup at an accessible height so that you
can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather
than the dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by
mistake. Is this a problem that is worth redoing so that the hookup
is behind the dryer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Lazy (or "normal") practice is to put the shut off valve in the most
inaccessible place behind the appliance, requiring you to pull it out of
the way to shut the gas off so that you can service it. It is there for
looks not convenience. The really smart placement for the valve is about
chest high so you can actually turn it off without having to move the
appliance. Sounds you like you have a forward thinking (right height
placement) but lazy (behind the wrong machine) plumber.

--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked. It is price
competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

xrongor

"Grandpa Koca" wrote in message
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
[...]

so when the dryer catches on fire and you need to turn off the gas, you
think its smart to have the valve behind the dryer where you cant reach it
because of flames shooting up?

i like where the plumber put it...

randy

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote in message
We just had a plumber run a dryer gas line for our new laundry room.

2 questions about the placement of the hookup:

1. The hookup runs vertically up the back wall and is about 40"
tall. I would have thought the hookup should be down low since that
is where the connection with the dryer is and am concerned that
this will now look ugly. The plumber, however, claims that it is
important to have the hookup at an accessible height so that you
can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

HE is correct, you would be wrong.

The cutoffs by code are supposed to be easily accessable...behind the dryer
at floor level is NOT.

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather
than the dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by
mistake. Is this a problem that is worth redoing so that the hookup
is behind the dryer?

Did he? Or did he think that the dryer has 2 hook ups, electric and gas,
while the washer has your water taps and there is little chance of the
washer being pushed too far against the wall that might damage the gas line?
Its where we run out ours....beside the washer hookups..

Thanks,
Jeff

"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" wrote:

We just had a plumber run a dryer gas line for our new laundry room.

2 questions about the placement of the hookup:

1. The hookup runs vertically up the back wall and is about 40"
tall. I would have thought the hookup should be down low since that
is where the connection with the dryer is and am concerned that
this will now look ugly. The plumber, however, claims that it is
important to have the hookup at an accessible height so that you
can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather
than the dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by
mistake. Is this a problem that is worth redoing so that the hookup
is behind the dryer?

Thanks,
Jeff

Part 2: No, because last few feet will use a flexible "hose" (dryers do
vibrate a little).

Part 1: Does not matter. Why? Because if you have a real problem you
should immediately GET OUT of the house and call gas company (or fire
dept if fire).

LB
Joe Bobst

2. The hookup actually terminates behind the washing machine rather than the
dryer because the plumber cut the pipes short by mistake. Is this a problem
that is worth redoing so that the hookup is behind the dryer?

Sounds like the best plan.

The plumber, however, claims that it is important to have the hookup at an
accessible height so that you can shut off the gas. What is best practice here?

Check with your building inspection department. In our locality we have gas
shut offs in the basement near water heaters, furnaces, stove and dryer supply
runs. Good luck.

Joe

Grandpa Koca

Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

[...]

Read my post, randy. I said for servicing it. If there's a fire, there's
no fire marshall I know that would tell you to stand there and turn it
off, they'd tell you to get out. I'll service my dryer a whole lot of
times, but there only "might" be a fire once. And upon reconsideration,
I don't have a preference whether its over the washer or dryer, flex
line comes in all lengths. The only "real" reason to have it behind the
dryer is to keep the flex line lengths shorter, but that may be
aesthetics. So I'll agree with you that where the plumber put it is fine.