charlie b

Default semi-OT - Reflection / Cogitation / Age / Adventure / Woodworking

OT - Reflection / Cogitation / Age / Adventure / Woodworking

(this WILL get on topic - honest)

When I was in my early twenties I asked my friends who were in their
fifties, sixties and seventies when they started thinking of themselves
as “adults”. To a person, the response was “I haven’t - yet.” Then each
added his or her own qualifications to the response. The consensus
came down to “I can be an adult when I HAVE to be an adult.” Adultness
is contextual.

Now, approaching the middle of that age range, and having escaped
“gainful employment”, been outgrown of parenthood, and long since
despoused, I understand what my elder friends meant. This is a nuanced
thing. Not being an adult is not the same as being childish, but
rather, “child like” - the ability to see things as new and fascinating
and interesting, with an attitude of “I want to learn to do that!”.
Like Adultness, Child Likeness also seems contextual.

So I began thinking about this Child Likeness thing. What distinguishes
it from childishness? The word “reflection” came to mind, followed by
“cogitation”. With more experience there’s awareness of more options
and that leads to cogitation. Of the various ways to do something,
which of the ones I know would work best here or should I look for
another way? Think I’ll cogitate on that some.

Perhaps woodworking is so appealing because it is often a context which
triggers Child Likeness.

Oh, look at the way this piece of wood plays with the light!
It’d be PERFECT for a (insert - drawer front, box lid, cabinet
door panel, magic wand handle ...). If I put this wood around it?
That’d look NICE. I can just (rip, miter, dado, rabbet, plane,
chisel, bead, chamfer, mortise / tenon, spline, peg, dovetail,
carve, oil, shellac, stain, varnish) ...

The shop becomes Never Never Land, where time has no
importance. Sawdust and curlies become Pixie Dust. Snipe,
Tear Out and Blotchie are just some of the evil pirates lurking
about,
commanded by
- dare I say his name? -
Captain Kickback!
(You thought I was going to say “Bay Area Dave” didn’t you?)
Can OOPS be laying in wait behind this ON switch?

With a #7 and marking gauge in hand, chisel, with plastic
end cap in place, stuck in my belt the adventure begins!

But first,
I think I’ll do
some
cogitating.