Andy Hill

Lynn O'Day wrote:
I had requested a Honeywell (or American Standard branded equivalent)
Two stage / 7 day programmable thermostat for my 2 stage furnace.
Instead the professional HVAC company installed a "Braeburn" two stage /
7 day (model 5100). I've never heard of Braeburn and indeed the
trademark office says it has only been used in commerce since 2002,
strangely registered to an individual not a company.

Besides being a pain to program, are there any disadvantages to having
this thermostat instead of the Honeywell? I'm a bit disappointed but
really can't hold their feet to the fire since the contract didn't
explicitly say "Honeywell." I really liked my Honeywell 3500, but that
is only 1 stage 'stat. Thanks!

They haven't been around that long, so no track record. Strike One.
You already find it a pain to program. Strike Two.
You asked for a Honeywell unit, and you're familiar with Honeywell units.
Strike Three

IMHO, you should ask politely that the unit be changed out for a Honeywell
(there are lots of models, so I'd recommend being pretty specific so you don't
get some low-end model). If they balk (a decent operation shouldn't, but you
never know) offer to change the unit out yourself, or maybe sweeten the pot to
help offset the labor (after all, the hardware cost ain't the issue, but the
additional truck roll costs 'em money).