Gary R. Lloyd

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:17:05 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

"Gary R. Lloyd" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:23:32 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message
In article , Gary R. Lloyd
wrote:

The only thing that ****es me off more than being pushed outdoors is
being robbed in the form of tobacco taxes. The TobaccoNazis can all go
straight to hell.

Normally, I'd support ideas of personal freedom like this, but in
the case of cigarettes, when you use them as intended by the cigarette
makers, it kills you and the people that are unfortunate enough to
breath your second-hand smoke. It isn't a personal freedom thing,
rather, it is a public health issue, and a life or death issue at that.

-john-

It also means those smokers are costing me more in health insurance to
support their illnesses. It is only fair they pay some of that back in
the
form of tobacco taxes.

Wrong. It is theft and nothing else.

So how do you plan to protect me from the cost of your addiction when
you become ill, or any of the other cost associate with YOUR smoking that
without tax you not be repaying to society yet society will pay for you.

If you have the right to make choices to inflect part of the cost of
your choices, then I should have the right to tax you back to reclaim that
cost.

Do I need to keep repeating ad nauseum that health care costs are
lower for smokers than for non-smokers, due to the obvious fact that
they die sooner? Not to mention the savings in social security.
Tobacco taxes cannot be justified. They are just simply theft.

Gary R. Lloyd

"When the boot of government is on your neck,
it doesn't matter if it's left or right"