igor

On 18 Nov 2004 22:52:54 -0800, (Al Holstein) wrote:

I have used contact coment for gluing solid word trim to plywood for
the last 25 years and have never had any of the edges come off. I used
solid word to cut my trim and glue to to 3/4 or 1/2 plywood and router
of the edges that extend on both sides. Normal 1 inch solid is just a
bit wider that 3/4 ply. A little scraping and sanding and the edge
looks like the edge of solid wood. I have used bits for trimming
formica with either a straight or a bevel. I prefer the bevel bit.

It works,

Since you have had such success with this, could you provide some details
about how you do this?

For example: What kind of applications have you done this in -- such as
book shelves, drawers? How do you apply the cement to the edges - to get
enough but avoid runs? How do you deal with any runs or squeeze-out, if
there is any? Have you ever stained the wood afterwards and are there any
problems of the stain not taking at/near the joint? Any tricks to getting
things aligned before contact - since, unlike with an oversized piece of
laminate, there is less margin of error?

How thick/deep is the wood you use on the edge? AND, do you clamp the trim
to the ply?

Before I made the original post I thought I knew the answer to most of
these, but since a number of replies indicated that this approach would NOT
work well, I thought I'd ask even some simple ones to make sure I don't
miss anything. TIA. -- Igor