Dave Plowman

Default I LOVE Speedfit!

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
I don't think they're worth the considerable additional cost.
Moreover, with separate solder you're in no doubt when it melts,
especially when say you can't see the back of the fitting. Oh, and end
feed are neater looking.

But what do you do if a soldered joint does leak?

The chances of this *really are* slim if you do it properly.

How do you dry it out etc? Can you unsolder a joint by re-heating it?

You drain down in the normal way, and simply unsolder by heating it. If it
were at the bottom of a loop with water lying in it this wouldn't be
possible, but then you shouldn't have such a loop anyway. But if you had,
you'd simply cut if off with a pipe cutter, and extend the pipe to fit
when re-making. Let's face it, pipe and end feed fittings are so cheap you
don't have to worry.

My pessimism in regard to my own joints is such that I just assume I'll
have to re-do all of them at least twice, which is why I'm more
comfortable with compression fittings. Actually, most of them are spot
on first time but anxiety's a funny thing.

Know what you mean, but there's far more chance of a leak with a
compression fitting as it's susceptible to mechanical damage - a bad
scratch or whatever - that solder would easily fill.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn