On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:30:38 GMT, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Sometimes I get to go to the woods to pick up those idiots who file the
depth gages off their chains so they can cut faster.

Ummmmm.... errrrrrrr.... I have to admit I've done that before. Cutting
down the rakers makes for a very fast cut, but man oh man, hang on to that
saw. I actually did it because the chippers had been filed away enough that
the rakers were keeping them from cutting. Smart people go buy a new chain
at that point, but I just had to get all the mileage I could out of my
chain. Never really had a problem besides having to develop a much tighter
grip on the saw, but at some point I really did get smarter and started
buying new chains when they got to that point. You actually can file them
down a bit and not cause any problems, but it just isn't worth it. Chains
aren't that expensive.

you can do it right and take off the same amount as you take from the
tooth, but to be really consistent about it you'll need a machine...