mac davis

On 17 Nov 2004 13:18:05 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Sufferin' succotash. Just read that Sears and Kmart will merge, an 11 billion
buck deal, with the Kmart head leading the Sears Holding Co. that will emerge,
and the Sears CEO being CEO of the group.

I can see the benefit to Kmart. I cannot see the benefit to Sears.

Oh, yeah. Headquarters to remain at Sears headquarters, with a "significant
presence" at Kmart headquarters.

Predicted to be a $55 billion company, but I've seen claims for larger than
life companies before, including one I recently worked for that claimed $100
million, when balance sheets showed it was about $38-$45 million back then.

Supposed to come in as #3 behind Walmart and Target.

Charlie Self
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
nothing."
Redd Foxx

Very strange strategy!
A few years ago, we had some major gloats when Kmart closed 2 local
stores and had closeout sales to try and pull the company out of
bankruptcy...

Sears has been doing poorly for years and their attempt to compete
with walmart and the borgs by acquiring Orchard Hardware only
increased the bleeding... (the reason that I go to OHS a lot is
because you never have to wait in line.. not a good sign for a retail
outfit)

So, are they figuring that if you put 2 outdated losers together,
they'll become a winner?????