George

Limbers often have poor body position, and sometimes even forget their leg
is on the other side of the piece as they reach, and even brace themselves
against the cut. They lose a touch of footing, and the saw's through and
beyond.

As the practice here was to pay by the piece, there were a lot of shortcuts
taken.

Kickback is unaffected by filing, as far as I know. Saw doesn't kick when
it's cutting, just when it's not. Only accident more gruesome than a kick
was the result of drop starting with the throttle lock on. Like we all
haven't done it, right? Lose your grip on the rope and the bar rotates
downward around mid-tibia.

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
George wrote:

Sometimes I get to go to the woods to pick up those idiots who file
the depth gages off their chains so they can cut faster.

I did that once, umm, summer of 1977. When the chain was sharp you could
bog down and kill the McC. when going through a pine log. Extremely fast
cutting.

What's the danger? The tip was free so there was never any kickback. I

had
to hold the saw up somewhat or the engine would die. The volume of

sawdust
around my right foot was incredible.

-- Mark