Mike Marlow

"George" george@least wrote in message
Under powered? THAT we can agree on. I'm using a Farm boss with a 20"
Oregon, and 20" of maple is more than I should be working. Makes nice
bowls, though. Especially if you tilt the saw when ripping for shaving
clearance.

034 here with an 18 inch bar. I had a an 040-something with a 22 inch bar
which was way overkill. Got rid of it and got the 034. When I was putting
up 22 cords of wood a year it was a great saw. Now I use it for smaller
work and I wish I had one of those 020-something saws. The amount of tree
that I get into these days that really requires an 034 just isn't that much.
But... it's been a good saw and I'll keep it forever, I'm sure.

I get to go to the woods with cruisers, piececutters, and even my former
ambulance partner's husband, who has a few million in automatic harvesting
equipment to play with.

Another point in common. I was a Cardiac/Trauma Medic for 12 years. Both
vol and paid.

Sometimes I get to go to the woods to pick up those idiots who file the
depth gages off their chains so they can cut faster.

Ummmmm.... errrrrrrr.... I have to admit I've done that before. Cutting
down the rakers makes for a very fast cut, but man oh man, hang on to that
saw. I actually did it because the chippers had been filed away enough that
the rakers were keeping them from cutting. Smart people go buy a new chain
at that point, but I just had to get all the mileage I could out of my
chain. Never really had a problem besides having to develop a much tighter
grip on the saw, but at some point I really did get smarter and started
buying new chains when they got to that point. You actually can file them
down a bit and not cause any problems, but it just isn't worth it. Chains
aren't that expensive.

--

-Mike-