Mike Marlow

"George" george@least wrote in message

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
k.net...

"George" george@least wrote in message
You learned someplace else, I guess.

From loggers.

I'll stack our UP cutters with the best. The guy who taught me to fell

and
cut took a Maple and a polar with a pickup jammed between them down one
night without a twig falling on the two pinned occupants or we two medics.
Good friend in more ways than one! The vehicle moved more from the jaws
than the trees.

I'm sure of that. We have some of the best in the Adirondacks also - well,
we used to. I don't doubt for a minute what you say about this fellow, but
I'd invite you to show him my comments and ask him if he takes exception
with them.

Rocking the saw, actually tilting the nose up or down alternately, is

tactic to cope with large logs so that the chain speed can be kept at

or
near full. By tilting, less wood is in contact, chips are more easily
ejected, and the whole operation's safer.

Yes, like I said rocking is done by people, but with a well sharpened

chain
there's no need to rock. Watch the real pro's (not a tree service)
sometime - they lay the saw on the log and let it do the cutting. When

you
rock you tend to put more force on the saw - pushing it through the wood
instead of letting it cut through. You really need to look at your cuts

if
you think that by rocking it you're putting less chain in contact with

wood.
You are not. Anytime you force a tool the whole operation is not safer.
That is just a totally bad paragraph.

Sorry, go back to your geometry book. Any secant is shorter than the
diameter. And I said "tilt."
How do you force a saw without pushing? Aren't you presuming?

Me - presume???? Banish the thought. 99% of the people who tilt a saw do
not lift either the front or the back while they tilt the saw in order to
lift part of the chain out of the wood. They rock the saw against the dogs
and pry the saw. That results in full chain contact all the time. If you
did lift, you're cutting less wood - takes more time to cut. Keep your
chain sharp and cut straight through and that's the fastest way as well as
the way that strains the saw the least. Neither one of us probably has the
luxurey of getting out and watching the loggers these days, but watch the
logger games on TV. When they cut the butts cuts for time, look at those
saws - straight down through and straight up through the wood. If your saw
needs lifting to keep the rpm's up it's underpowered, the chain is dull, or
you're horsing the saw way too much.

--

-Mike-