George

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
k.net...

"George" george@least wrote in message
You learned someplace else, I guess.

From loggers.

I'll stack our UP cutters with the best. The guy who taught me to fell and
cut took a Maple and a polar with a pickup jammed between them down one
night without a twig falling on the two pinned occupants or we two medics.
Good friend in more ways than one! The vehicle moved more from the jaws
than the trees.

Rocking the saw, actually tilting the nose up or down alternately, is a
tactic to cope with large logs so that the chain speed can be kept at or
near full. By tilting, less wood is in contact, chips are more easily
ejected, and the whole operation's safer.

Yes, like I said rocking is done by people, but with a well sharpened

chain
there's no need to rock. Watch the real pro's (not a tree service)
sometime - they lay the saw on the log and let it do the cutting. When

you
rock you tend to put more force on the saw - pushing it through the wood
instead of letting it cut through. You really need to look at your cuts

if
you think that by rocking it you're putting less chain in contact with

wood.
You are not. Anytime you force a tool the whole operation is not safer.
That is just a totally bad paragraph.

Sorry, go back to your geometry book. Any secant is shorter than the
diameter. And I said "tilt."
How do you force a saw without pushing? Aren't you presuming?

The reason the handle mounts around left is for felling.

That's the reason it wraps. It's primary reason is the grip that gives

the
saw stability. There is no way you could stabilize the saw with just the
rear handle.

You'd probably have a cow watching a good woodsman plunge a veneer log

prevent heart pull.

No, but he knows what chances he's taking. Go ask that "good woodsman" if
that is or is not the absolute best way to generate a kickback. Generally
when they plunge, they come in at the tip of the bar, but either just over
or just under the bar so that they are not plunging in with the tip.

He's making money. A heart pull is hundreds of bucks.