Andy Dingley

On 16 Nov 2004 06:45:24 -0800, (David Hall)
wrote:

So, basically if you are 16 or younger you are allowed to use a
sander? Maybe a drill?

I'm not familiar with CDT these days. But there was a time in the
early '80s when _everything_ was acrylic sheet, scrollsawn, drilled,
heated and bent over a hot-wire line bender, then shaped on big disk
sanders with quadrant guards. "Woodworking" as we think of it
hereabouts to generally involve a lot of solid timber just wasn't part
of it.

I was at school through the '70s. I did a year of woodwork and learned
nothing. We didn't touch any machines. I did a full course of
metalwork (O level) and learned a reasonable bit, mainly turning. I
did far more of either at home, although not much wodworking.

I also heard one of the wisest comments from a teacher I've yet heard.
The metalwork teacher pointed out that almost none of us would end up
in hands-on engineering. Of those few that did, we'd be working 40
hour weeks as apprentices, doing nothing other than engineering.
Compared to an hour or two a week and this "O level" we'd acquired,
we'd do more in a few weeks apprenticeship than we'd done in our whole
school career. I was never an apprentice, but I did spend a few weeks
on a basic industry apprentice's metalworking course (so as to qualify
as a chartered engineer, although I was mainly a physicist). My
teacher was right.

--
Smert' spamionam