SB

Cheers Andy,

So that basically means that maybe he can't let us use it @ skl but there's
no reason not to use it at home, right?

SB

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 07:48:48 -0000, "SB"
wrote:

My CDT (woodwork) teacher told the class that we couldn't use the bandsaw
because you had to be over 18 and have a licence.

Here's one education authority's policy document on workshop hazards.

http://www.kirklees-ednet.org.uk/sub...gntechnology.d
oc

The relevant chunk is on page 16, here's some highlights:

In general, woodworking machinery presents a variety of safety hazards
to the user, including entanglement, trapping etc. However, if
precautions are taken and relevant standards and guidance are
followed risks can be reduced to an acceptable level.

[...]

The school should decide which machinery is suitable for use by each
group of students. The decision should be based on pupil maturity and
competence, the level of supervision, local authority and national
guidelines.

However, no child of statutory school age would be expected to have
sufficient maturity and competence to use high-risk woodworking
machinery.

A young person (those above the statutory school age but below 18) may
during training use the machines if adequately supervised. After
training, adequate supervision must still be provided if the young
person is not sufficiently mature.

[High risk woodworking machinery] Includes any hand-fed woodworking
machinery, any sawing machine fitted with a circular blade or saw band,
planing machines when used for surfacing, and vertical spindle moulding

machines
(spindle moulders should not be used in schools).