Philip

I would suggest that:

1) Check your neighbors to see who they use.

2) When you call tell them that the you want the furnace to be checked
and serviced before the heating season starts. They will probably ask
when was the last time it was serviced. Give a honest answer. If you
have had any problems let them know. As to the rust and holes, let
them find out for themselves and let them give you their professional
opinion. Don't start the process saying that you have heavy rust and
that you need a new furnance. If that is the case, they will let you
know.

NWM wrote in message . ..
First : You need a service man that will clean all that rust out of there and
see how it burns afterwards. I can clean one in about 45 minutes and put it back
together and this is not a major job. I think the service man wanted to sell a
new furnace and too lazy to clean it. I would call another service compant and
tell them to give it a good cleaning and you might be surprised to see what
happens. Rusted up burners is a common problem and i see them rusted up all the
time. I clean them out and they run fine. The only reason I may say change the
burners or a new furnace would be the burners have big holes rusted through them
and letting the gas not come out of the louvers of the burners. If they are not
rusted through. Clean them out and be happy.

The service order invoice says the following

"Reported to job site. Found furnace to be very rusted out. Also found
burners to be rotted. Burners will not fire(well this is completely
inaccurate because they did fire). Gas is building in heat exchangers.
I shut off gas to unit and informed customer not to run unit."

So can you or any tech tell if the burners are rotted or have holes in
them without cleaning them first? Are small holes ok, or just the big
holes the problem?

Thnks