Jeff Cochran

Guess you never checked prices locally with other contractors, huh?
Although that would make sense and give you the only valid comparison,
installing a gas furnace in my home would run about three times your
estimate. Hope that helps you sort out your pricing dillema.

Oh, by the way, we have no natual gas, so the estimate would include
running a pipe 3/4 of a mile to my home. I assume that compares with
your situation...

Jeff

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:05:54 GMT, NWM
wrote:

Well the service guy said the burner had too much rust and showed me
that the burner wasn't burning all the gas. Consequently, he turned
off the gas to the furnace and told me the furnace could blow up if I
tried to light it up. He could replace the burner, but this company
stopped making furnaces 20 years ago, so parts would be difficult to
get and the total cost to replace the burner with labor would amount
to 500-1000.

Well the estimate for a new furnace(80percent) with new digital
thermostat, and the surrounding ductwork and 2 man all day labor
amounts to $4750, 10 percent off for cash. He said the price of steel
had gone up dramatically the last 2 years. Now I will get a couple of
other estimates.

Is this a typical price? Archived messages range from under 2000 to
above 4000. Never saw a price as high as my estimate in the archives
even for a 90 percent model. A 96 percent model will cost over 2000
more.

Anyone have experience with Home Depot's referral service? I normally
check out the Better Business Bureau for companies that are
(preferably)members and don't have any outstanding complaints. Better
yet, members who don't have any complaints at all in the past 36
months. I wonder if Home Depot screens their referrals. I ask, because
maybe Home Depot gives deals to the companies that they refer.